REP. PATTERSON ANNOUNCES VETERANS COMMITTEE TO SELECT $10,000 SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENTMay 11, 2020
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 11, 2020
FRISCO — Texas State Representative Jared Patterson announced the formation of a Veterans Committee to assist him in selecting a candidate for the Texas Armed Services Scholarship Program (TASSP). Each year, Texas state legislators may appoint one student for the TASSP, a state program created to encourage students in Texas to participate in Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) at civilian colleges, ultimately to become officers in the United States military. The TASSP award amount for the 2020-2021 academic year will be up to $10,000.
In making his selection, Representative Patterson said that input from local veterans was crucial, as he expects a tough decision among well-qualified and well-deserving applicants. “I have the honor of making a difficult selection each year from our district’s outstanding applicants. Having the perspective of local veterans who’ve honorably served and worn our nation’s uniform will be invaluable in this selection process.”
Patterson announced the following initial committee members to join him in selecting this year’s TASSP appointee:
- Sergeant First Class John Keating, United States Army, Retired — Frisco;
- Airman First Class Fred Rogers, United States Air Force, Retired — Frisco;
- Lance Corporal Jeff Perry, United States Marine Corps, Retired — Aubrey;
- Captain Bob Dobson, United States Army, Retired — Savannah;
- Lieutenant Colonel Jim Baker, United States Air Force, Retired — Little Elm; and
- First Lieutenant Dick Ensweisler, United States Army, Retired — The Colony.
Representative Patterson’s office will be accepting and reviewing applications over the next two weeks, and his committee will conduct interviews and make their selection by the end of May. Interested applicants should send their resumes and a brief cover letter describing their interest in the scholarship and in ROTC to Representative Patterson. For more information about the TASSP or to apply for the scholarship, please send an email to: [email protected].